SAT Math Section

Regarding studies in the USA, the SAT is a commonly used standardized examination for college admissions. The College Board, an independent, not-for-profit corporation based in the United States, is entirely responsible for their development and conducting the SAT exams.

There is not a lot of emphasis on geometry problems in the math section, but there is considerable attention given to algebra, solving equations, and interpreting data from tables and graphs. The query forms are divided into three sections by the College Board: “Heart of Algebra”, “Passport to Advanced Math”, and “Problem Solving and Data Analysis”.

About 90% of SAT math problems fall into these three categories. The remaining 10% is referred to as “Additional Topics” and it consists mostly of geometry, simple trigonometry, and complex numbers.

Many of my students ask me to help them prepare for the math section of the SAT. Consequently, I have developed a well-structured and flexible program which aims to reenforce pupils with the specific mathematical skills which are assessed by the SAT. As well, many real past exam papers are given to students to practice and test their scores and time management.

I offer a number of options regarding SAT math preparation, taking into account critical factors for tutoring, such as:

  • Whether the student is an IB Diploma or A Levels candidate
  • The student’s mathematical background
  • The student’s past experience in taking exams
  • The student’s skills at manipulating a scientific calculator

I prepare both IB and A Level students – as well as students interested exclusively in the SAT – for the math section of the exam.

What about the English section?

Apart from the math section, SAT includes two more sections: “Reading” and “Writing and Language” which make up the English section of the test. Solid preparation presupposes that the candidate is prepared not only for the math but for the English section, as well. Unfortunately, there are many cases where students do well in the math section, but fail to achieve a high score in English.

Although I am a mathematician, I strongly believe that the key to conquering SAT exams is systematic preparation for the English section. All of my students quickly become ready for the SAT math section; the challenge is also to be prepared for the English section. For that reason, there are experienced and specialized English teachers who effectively assist me, so that students are equally well-prepared for all sections of SAT.

Other College Board tests

Although there is less demand for other tests which the College Board offers, I have successfully tutored students in order to be well-prepared for these tests. I have a large number of coursebooks and online material to offer students specific math preparation for these including:

  • PSAT/NMSQT and PSAT 10
  • SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 1
  • SAT Subject Test in Mathematics Level 2
Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.